Friday, June 7, 2013

A Brief Interlude: Fulfilling a request

A reader mentioned they'd like to see some health science related funding opportunities, so I've made an effort to break out of my field and fulfill the request.  My knowledge of health science is pretty limited, but my impression in doing my research was that the field is subdivided into many separate niches, with equally as many funding agencies targeting or specializing in those niches.   I did find a good list of some of these funding agencies and their associated grants/fellowships that I came across in my research:

SUNY Downstate Medical Center List of Extramural Funding Opportunities

A quick Google search turned up dozens and dozens of small grants and scholarships ($500 - $10,000) for variety of specialties, or from a number of different schools and universities.  Posting a handful of those seems counterproductive, but check your school and your niche within your field for opportunities.  The little scholarships won't pay for your education outright, but they sure do add up (I will be writing a post about this soon).


Additionally, it struck me that "The Big Ones" were either few and far between, or much more difficult to find than those from other fields.  If I'm missing any major players, please feel free to share them. Here are some that I found:

National Institutes of Health (NIH) Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Award (NRSA)

Epilepsy Foundation Predoctoral Fellowship ($20,000 for one year)

European Citizens: Boehringer Ingelheim Fonds PhD Fellowship Program




Finally, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) offers a number of funded internships and fellowships for medical and public health students.  Those can be found here:

CDC Student Internships & Fellowships


Hopefully this was helpful or at least educational.  Stay tuned for my next post about the sequester, and what it might mean for federally funded grants and fellowships.


Casey

No comments:

Post a Comment